Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Super Scout

Today was the pre-construction meeting with the contractors and sub-contractors. It was somewhat interesting to watch. I paid close attention to my boss, since he was conducting the meeting, and that I'll be doing this in a few years. The purpose of the meeting was to see who was doing what, and to set some ground rules. The contractor unfortunately wants to work Monday night through Friday, which takes away my Friday night. We in the office originally planned on Sunday-Thursday. Apparently it costs the contractor more to run the concrete plant on Sundays. So we'll see what happens when the project starts, but it'll most likely be the Mon-Fri schedule.

The boss gave a lecture on appropriate internet usage today. We have a program called Super Scout that watches over us. Three people got flagged for going to inappropriate site, two were repeat offenders and will mostly get their internet shut off. I got off with just a warning since it's my first offence, kinda. I got flagged three times in a month. When you go to an inappropriate site, it tells you that you're in violation of the policy and gives the reason, then bring up SOM 1.9.8. The reasons are remote proxy, sexual content, hacking, and some some 4th reason. I've seen this page several times, but ignored them since nothing has happened until today. But of all the times, I only have three occasions. I know better on how to surf at work, but I occasionally forget or don't expect certain things to be flagged.

I had to meet with my boss and explain my actions, and made sure that I knew the rules. My first offence was going to a site called musicwhore.org. This is just a simple music news site, but the word "whore" set off the sensors. My other offences were for going to bittorrent sites. The first time, I just didn't know. The second time, someone in the office was wondering about where I got my TV shows from, and I tried to show him, forgetting that I can't look at such things. People were complaining about Super Scout, about how it's too sensitive, and unfairly flags people for seemingly appropriate things, like breast cancer. Being here for 6 weeks, I think I've found my daily sites, and will not stray from them anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's kinda lame... but you learn which sites you can and can't visit. My work requires that I do a lot of research in different programming languages and stuff, and sometimes I struggle trying to find good information because the sites that have the best info are flagged as 'hacking'... which content filtering companies apparently don't consider that some people (like me) could alter their job description to just 'hacking'...