Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Erosion control

Today I went to an erosion control class. There was useful information present, though I was nodding off in the first part. It was three parts, and third part was presented by this young lady. She spoke really well and obviously knew what she was talking about, but she kept saying "um." It was fairly distracting. Throughout all the presentations I've sat through in college, I've only noticed females that have this problem. I really wonder how that happens, and if they even hear themselves say "um." I felt slightly out of place there. Gray hairs everywhere. If I saw a young person, I automatically assumed they were an engineer, but I'm probably wrong.

Once again class ended quickly. It was scheduled for 10am-2pm with a break for lunch, but we skipped the lunch break, and finished at 12:30pm. There were five of us from the office. It's interesting listening to their conversations. They mostly talk about work, like projects, contractors, and a lot about other employees. It's very educational, but sadly with my lack of experience, I can't really participate. I don't think I will ever really fit in, because when the topic isn't about work, it's about old people stuff. KDOT needs to get on the ball and recruit more young engineers. They are so many job openings for engineers, it's a little sad.

After we returned, I started on the book again. I finished the first story. It sounds like they're going to make me do some grunt work tomorrow, so I question my goal to finish the next 2 stories. We'll see.

No comments: