Thursday, March 23, 2006

Detectable Warnings

Today we went to a presentation by this companies that makes Detectable Warning Panels. Those panels are basically the textured off-colored panels at sidewalk ramps. They're required by the American Disabilities Act. The presenter was very good, I didn't get bored in the one hour he spoke about these panels. Even though I don't imagine KDOT using them, because we mostly do highways. There was free food provided so all the upper level employees attended this, six of us total. Took two suburbans, it was a relatively quiet drive, not much talking. The bad thing about it though was, the driver smoked, which he didn't do until the drive back. Me, being the new guy, I didn't want to stir anything up. Plus the other passenger, the boss, chews tobacco, so obviously he didn't care. Another thing that annoyed me was his choice of radio stations, country. Country seems to be the preferred choice for most of the people here, that or talk radio. I personally hate the radio, but if forced to, I listen to NPR or oldies. I figured the guys would listen to oldies, being as they're old.

It official that the new truck isn't mine. So currently I have no state vehicle. Luckily I don't need one for while. I don't have any classes or meetings to attend on my own. The only thing I have to look forward to is the pre-construction meeting next week, and the Transportation conference at K-State in April.

It snowed here, third bloody day of Spring and it snows. I hate the snow, it's always been an enemy of mine in college. Making my feet cold and ground slippery. I shake my foot curled into a fist at thee snow.

No comments: