Monday, March 06, 2006

Contract

We finally got the contracts for the patching project. The contract is a big thick manual. The first 300 or so pages are amendments to the policies outlined in the spec book. Only about 20 pages have actual information about the project. It's amazing that 2.1 miles of patching, grinding, and marking costs about $1.5 million. I feel the need to read the contract since it pertains to my job, but at this point I'd prefer to read my own books. I didn't get The Davinci Code, but I did get the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it has all five books, plus a short story. I figured I'd read one per day, but I forgot that I actually have class twice this week. So I don't think I'll finish the book this week, which makes me kinda sad, because I want to see how many books can I read before the project starts. Granted a normal person could finish the book in three working days, but I don't have the attention span to read for that long. I'm actually enjoying Hitchhiker's Guide quite a bit, I actually laughed out loud when I read this part about the non-existence of God.

"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
"'But,' says Man 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
"'Oh dear,' says God 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in puff of logic.

Looking around my desk, I really need to do something about it. It's pretty much left unchanged from when the previous engineering sat here. I still have the 2005 calendars on the wall. The only decorations I can think about bringing in are anime toys, but that seems kinda out of place in an office like this. Most people have pictures of their families, cars, construction, and wildfire paraphernalia. I'm pretty sure none of have any idea of what anime is, and if they do it's either pokemon or hentai. And now I have to end this, because it's quitting time.

No comments: