Sunday, May 07, 2006

Not working

Thursday night, I was put in the concrete plant to observe our batch man. We don't start batching concrete until after 10pm, with is when we close off the second lane. So before that I was on site walking around just to get some exercise. I walked to the beginning of the project, stood there talking to some co-workers watched work be done. The workers moved on, but we stayed put for another 30 minutes. I decided I would at least pretend to watch the work, and figured the others would follow, but nope. So i continued to walk about 3 miles to the other end of the project, stopping to watch a little work. Then 10pm rolled around and I was whisked away to the plant.

Being at the plant actually feel a little like work. You only work when a truck is needed, and that's like 7-8 times in 4 hours. The batch man actually makes decision, making adjustments to mix. After the truck is loaded, a ticket is written, then the batch man goes out and looks into mixer to see how wet or dry the mix is. The batch man for this project is the token black guy, so it wasn't too bad working there. I left work at 3am that night, since I didn't feel like looking for pretend work to do.

Friday night, work was canceled. I came in at 4pm, because I felt it would be canceled. So I sat in the office for about an hour, decided to take 4 hours of vacation and left. Despite working 10 hours some days, still only ended up with 40 hours for the week. I still made more money because of the night differential pay.

One of the sub-contractors got the work changed to the way we wanted. We originally wanted to Sun-Thurs, since Friday night would have too much traffic and drunks. The main contractor decided Mon-Fri, and sadly at KDOT, the first rule is to not make the contractor angry. Luckily the sub-contractor in charge of concrete saw things our way, and got the schedule changed. So my weekend was only Saturday this week.

So I'm here at work on Sunday, and surprise surprise it was canceled, but I'm still required to put in 8 hours, so I'm stuck here until midnight. Thankfully, I was called beforehand and was able to plan for the night of doing nothing. When my boss called, he asked if I wanted to come in or take more vacation time. I've only been here for less 3 months, so I don't have much vacation time to use. When I came in today, I was planning on doing nothing, so I forgot to change into my boots. I'm still wearing my flip flops, and I don't really have any intentions on changing.

No comments: