Thursday, May 04, 2006

I hate the cold

So we didn't work yesterday because of expected thunderstorms, which never happened. So we worked today and it did rain, very hard at some points. I brought my jacket and stocking cap, but I was still very cold. Working on rainy highway, next to a river with the wind constantly blowing made for a crappy time. Luckily I was under a bridge for the wetter parts of the night.

The first night, they just sawed patches. Tonight, they pulled out the full depths patches, and jack hammered the partial ones. After that, the full depth patches had dowel bars inserted. Finally they were filled with concrete and finished. They moved like an assembly line. So that's what the contractor did. So what did I do? I watched them work. At one point we ran a concrete test and I wrote down the results. I did a maximum of 5 minutes of work in 12 hours, 4pm to 4am. There were seven people out there doing the work of four. I spent most of my time talking with my coworkers, which is nice since I finally get to know them better.

I doubt I'll ever work until 6am. Since the road has to be opened by 6am, the latest the contractor can pour concrete is 2am. So after 2am, it's just waiting around on the contractor. They may continue to saw some more patches for the next day, or they might just pack up and call it a night. We basically have to stick around and make sure they clean everything up, but that doesn't require everyone, so a couple guys "volunteer" to stay, and the rest of us go home. I actually just sat in my truck from 2am to 3:30am, doing sudoku and trying to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so horribly boring...