Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I just blue myself

We finished early this morning, I so decided to update. After sitting in the office until a little after 7pm, I decided to walk around the office. I noticed that it was completely empty. You'd think they would let me know when they were leaving for the job site. So I turned off the lights, then locked the doors and headed out to the job site.

When I got there at 7:20pm, the contractor had just started setting up the traffic control to close off the left lane. So I wasted about 20 minutes talking, then drove back to the office to grab a measuring wheel, pencil, and my lunch box. Tonight, we just marked off patches. Orange paint for full depth and blue paint for partial depth patches. There was seven of us out there which was more than enough. It was highly unorganized. We each took a section of the southbound 4 mile stretch, but we weren't told how to label patches. I think we started marking then at 8:30pm and finished left lane by 10pm. The center lane was supposed to be closed off by 10pm, but that wasn't done until 11:30pm. We went through and marked the center lane patches and relabeled the left lanes patches to a uniform standard. Center lane was probably done by 2am, but since there is little communication better the workers, we overlapped on sections that were already covered. But that was okay, because some sections needed to be checked twice. While we were marking patches, the contractor was sawing them so they could be pulled out in the future.

At 3:00am, everyone was gathered at the end of project. I just sat in the truck talking, until the project manager dismissed us. He said we were free to leave now or stick around until 6am. I figured I've already been working for 12 hours, I don't want two more. So after 30 more minutes of chatting, people started heading back to the office. A couple guys stayed behind to make sure traffic control was taken down. On the way back, I saw a bunch of police cars, a fire truck, and a couple radio station news vans, but I didn't see any accident. Even though I was just driving down a 4 mile stretch, drove up and down it a lot looking for things to do, I think I put over 50 miles on my truck tonight. I forgot to ask what time I need to come in this afternoon, but I'm going to assume 6pm, since I already got 4 hours today.

No comments: