Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rained Out

It's been a while since I last updated. This current project doesn't give me much free time, since it's being run by the north office, and I refuse to update on my own time. I never got to work on he striping project. They put me on full time on the patching project that I was assisting on. I started as four 10-hour days, but switched to 5 days for two week, then they were ahead on schedule so they switched back to mon-thurs again. We got rained out tonight, so I'm stuck doing nothing for 10 hours. Kinda annoying because the guys from the other project stayed until midnight. They usually work until 6am, and get to work before 5:30p, they probably could have left by 7:30pm. My project starts at 6pm, but I have to be in the office by 5:30pm. Their project starts at 7pm, but are in the office before 5:30pm. I'm too honest to get any overtime here.

I usually inspect the preparation of the patches, but periodically fill in for the plant guy when he has to take a gradation. I normally work until the project manager "dismisses me". He basically gives me the option of staying for overtime or going. As much as I would like overtime, I can't justify staying. I don't see the point of two people doing the work of one. Starting tomorrow, I'll be watching the grinders. This project has been much better than the previous one. I'm working with people from the north office, which are much better than the people we have here. There's actually communication, and I actually feel somewhat useful out on the road. It's strange how the west office gets all the perks, even though all the higher up engineers work out of the north office.

Well everyone else is finally gone and the rain is really noisy here. So I'm going to go home early. I really wonder if the cameras here are even on. Oh yeah, my mom is finally back so I get delicious homemade bento to bring to work now. Life is good.

No comments: