Wednesday, August 16, 2006

rotation

They temporarily put me on the striping job that I originally was supposed to be on because the project manager went on vacation. Striping is very boring but it's a small crew and there's quite a bit of downtime. The other guy I'm working with goes out early, and just calls me when I need o be out there. He also sleeps quite a bit on the job, which I don't mind, since this is really a one man job.

I finally got some information regarding my engineering rotation. There are 6 sections; construction, road design, bridge design, materials and testing, transportation planning, and traffic engineering. Construction is mandatory and we have a choice of 3 sections. Each section is 4 weeks and is conducted at KDOT HQ in Topeka. Though based on the letter from our FEA (Field Engineer Administrator) you can take more courses but for a shorter period of time. He wants us to do road and bridge design for 4 weeks each, and a week each for materials and traffic. I personally want to spend more time on traffic and take transportation planning. I need to talk to my boss to find out when I'll be free from projects so I can start my rotation.

On a sad note for me, the token black guy is leaving and starting a job in Lawrence. Now there is no one in the office that I can really talk to. We have a new Senior in our office, kind of. She transferred to our office a month before I started, because there were promotion opportunities. Then in June, she transferred to North shop to get closer to the Metro Engineer, and now she's back.

No comments: