Thursday, February 16, 2006

"quiet time"

It's just after 4pm, which is when most of the staff goes home. We work on flex time. Most of them work 7:30am-4:00pm with a half hour lunch. I opted for the 8am-4:30pm, because I don't feel like getting up that early. I thought about 8:30am-5:00am, like this one lady in the office does, but she seems to enjoy her time alone, and I don't want to intrude.


I did nothing today. I read a section from the "Standard Specifications for State Road and Bridge Construction". I read all about the minute details of the equipment that is used in road construction. It's my goal to read this 1100 page spec book before our first project in April. I've read 140 pages in 3 days, which isn't bad considering how boring it is. I spent the rest of my day reading Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys. I brought my external HD, so I always had music playing, and I watched a couple episodes of Venture Bros and My Name is Earl. I love getting paid for something I'd be doing at home anyway. The only difference is that I have to wear boots, and I don't have a blanket to keep me warm. I swear I've become a pansy in these past couple years. Any temperature under 70 degrees F and I get cold. Working here is nice, but slightly uncomfortable for me, because I'm so much younger than everyone else by an estimated 10 years, and that's being generous to my coworkers. I make more money than most of them, and in a couple years I'll become their boss, despite learning everything I know from them. Once I get my own state computer account, I'll install some games, and make my work day even more fun. Hurray for working for the state.

Current amount of books read at work: 2
Total amount of read while working for the state: 21 (I worked for them last summer)

No comments: