Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Playing in traffic

My boss recently got on me for watching TV shows at work. I don't think he really cares, but his boss, so he conveyed the message. So I'll cut my TV watching down to one hour instead of two hours. He also had me go marking stations with the other crew to give me something to do, which I appreciated. It gave me a chance to talk with my co-workers some more. Apparently is a law in Kansas, that if you see a highway worker on the side of the road with their lights flashing, you have to change lanes. It's not amazing how many people don't obey. I'm sure they see me standing on the side of the road, they need to give me some space.

County originally built the highway that was working on today. They did a horrible job. Stations are to be placed every 500 feet. Most were within 10 feet, but some were off as much as 20 feet. A lot of the stamps were upside down. At first all the stamps were in the outside driving lane. Requiring me to run out in the middle of the road at exits. Eventually towards the end of the highway, the stamps were on the shoulder or the merging lane, which was nice, but inconsistent. Also the driving lanes were made with 30 foot panels, while the shoulders were done with 15 foot panels. 30 feet is too long, so naturally there's cracks in the middle of every panel. Oh well shoddy construction like this keeps us busy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whats a stamp?

Hyde said...

It's a location stamp. There's a stamp every 500 feet. Looks like this 100+00, 105+00, 110+00, etc. Just a point of reference