Thursday, April 20, 2006

Hitched

Yesterday, I had to come in 30 minutes early so I could take my truck to main and office and get a hitch put on my new truck. I get there and told to come back 2 hours later, because they didn't have the parts to finish the job. So I come back and sat for 2 hours. I finished Idoru, I didn't really care much for it. I'd check on the mechanics every half hour, and they seemed to be done after the first hour, except for one piece. I seems like they took their lunch break in the middle, because no one was in the shop when I checked twice. When I came back to the office, the shop called to let me know that my truck was ready. Apparently no one was aware or remembered that I was waiting up there the whole time and had already picked my truck up. Since I came in early I left early, at 4pm like everyone else, which is why I didn't update yesterday. I usually update after everyone leaves.

Today, outside of the normal number checking, they had me chauffeur the black co-worker, because he didn't have a drivers license. I didn't mind, because I like talking with him. I consider him the most intelligent and cultured person in this office. I had to take him the concrete plant to run some gradation tests. The testing lab is semi-depressing. It has the bare essentials plus a air conditioner. There no color and a bikini calendar from 1996 set on February. After splitting the samples, you put then in a oven to burn off the moisture. Usually this means a heavy duty oven, but when he opened the door, I just saw a regular kitchen stove.

I spent about 4 hours there, which gave me some time to read Ender's Game, which I'm really enjoying. It also gave me plenty of time to talk. I discovered that he grew up catholic, and is older than I expected. He's as cynical if not more than an engineer. Definitely nice to talk to someone that see things the way I do. Too bad we can't talk like this in the office.

When we came back, it was back to checking numbers. It's the one thing that actually feels like work. Because I'm satisfied with the numbers, I have to sign off on them. I still got another set to check, but I'll save it for tomorrow. I beginning to think I won't reach my TV show viewing goal before the project starts. Oh well, I guess technically it's a good thing that I don't reach it.

No comments: