Thursday, April 06, 2006

Cracking

I went out again to work on the other team's project. We went out after lunch, started the west end of the highway. I rode in the bed of the truck rolling the measuring wheel, while making notes on the parts of the highway that need repair. It was somewhat enjoyable. It was a nice day, and I got to ride in the back of the truck. The only bad thing was that I was resting on my arm so it eventually got numb. It was difficult to sit in the position that allowed me to be safe while pushing the wheel and to be able to take notes. We covered about 3500 feet, before traffic got too busy. This is probably what I'll be doing for the next several days, which is nice.

I personally enjoy driving, but in these state vehicles I'd rather someone else drive. I drove the truck a short distance along the sloped side of the highway by myself. I was just delivering the truck to my co-worker. When I arrived, he told me that I should have driven the truck to the top of the slope where it's flatter, because someone in the office once rolled their truck. He then proceeded to tell me another story of an accident. I have a clear driving record, not even a ticket, but I'm afraid I am eventually going to get into one with as much driving that I will be doing in this job. I'm slightly paranoid driving these trucks, and it'll get even worse once they give me a brand new one.

The guy I'm working with is nice and is trying to teach about how things work around here. He often talks about the other employees too. I generally ignore the negative things until I can confirm them myself, but accept the positive ones. I found that one of co-workers, who really appeared to be on the ball, is actually has a chemical engineering degree. This is the same guy that I talked with about the Da Vinci Code. The only reason he's not an EA1 like me is because he got his degree from a non-accredited school in the Philippines. I always thought was he mexican, because he could speak spanish and had an accent, though it wasn't a spanish accent. It all makes sense now.

No comments: