Thursday, November 09, 2006

Mistake

Today I had to come in at 6:30am to batch some concrete. There was supposed to be 3 pours, 7:30am, 9:30am, and 12:30pm. Right after we batched the 7:30am one, the batch man said it appeared that the other two pours were canceled. I waiting about 15 minutes then I called the inspector out on the job to confirm it. So by 8am, I was already done with work, and the office wouldn’t expect me back until after 1pm. I decided that I would go home to take a nap and play some Guitar Hero II. On the way home I had a lapse in judgment and decided to head back to the office. I was still mulling over my decision, and by the time I decided to go home again, I was too close to the office to turn around. I thought about the consequences, and there were none, plus in the office I just ended up sitting there. The only person that could have found out about the cancellation was boss. When I got back to the office, I found out that he had taken the day off. I almost turned around right there to go home. I sat in the office for 4 hours wishing I had gone home.

Since the batch plant is halfway between the office and my home, I was planning on going home for lunch, so I didn’t bring my lunch with me. I decided to go out and eat with a couple of friends. I took a nice long 2 hour lunch to make up for my missed opportunity to nap. The only benefit of coming into work at 6:30am is that I can leave at 3:30pm. I have to come in at 6:30am tomorrow too, but that all overtime. So as soon they’re done pouring concrete, I’m gone.

No comments: