Monday, October 16, 2006

Field Trip

Last Thursday, our squad went on a field check. 9 of us piled in a 12 passenger van and drove around Southeast Kansas. We were looking at the finished projects that our squad members worked on. There was 8 from our squad, and one former member who is now in-charge of his own squad. I was supposed to be in his squad, but they didn't have enough work. There was quite a bit of talking at first, which I didn't contribute much to. In-between visiting the projects, I just played FFTA. It was a nice 10 hour trip. I got know other squad members a little better. I usually only converse with the Squad Engineer and Squad Leader.

Friday I finally finished up my right-of-way release. The next task for me is to look over a set of plans for an Office Check. We were going to start it, but we decided to save it for Monday, because a lot of us were leaving early because it's Friday.

Monday, I arrived in the office at 11:10am. I had to take care of some business in Wichita first. My squad leader was busy, so we didn't get started until 11:50am, then we interrupted by lunch at noon. Sadly there was no Call of Duty game up. After lunch, he continued explaining the project to me, and I asked one question, which sidetracked us. Went off on a tangent of a lot of various useful information regarding the design process. My squad is very knowledgeable regarding every aspect of work. I guess I'm just very impressed compared to the people that I met in my office in Wichita. After about 30 minutes on this tangent, it was interrupted by a potty break.
We then decided to go upstairs to greet all the people that I didn't meet last week. That took another hour. This guy can really talk and it's not boring either. Once we returned to his cubicle he concluded the tangent that we were on and decided that we would continue this tomorrow. Except that I won't be in the office tomorrow, because I have a new employee nuclear safety orientation to go to. I'll also need to go get a State ID card after that. I'm debating if I should even come into the office tomorrow.

No comments: