Sunday, June 18, 2006

No Truck

Got another email from my boss telling me to continue to drive the Taurus, while this other guy gets to drive my truck. His truck is in the shop, so they give him my truck so two people can be displaced instead of just one. The car sucks too, because the whoever drove it last smoked, so it stinks in there. There's two Taurus's so I'll try the other one and hope it doesn't stink. Normally I wouldn't mind letting someone else drive my truck, but I've developed an unfortunate dislike for this person. They call him Supercop, because he used to be a police officer. He's not in a position of power, but he wants to be, and tries to take charge whenever possible. My other co-workers are always complaining about him. It was funny listening to the Black Guy tell him off. He tried to tell him what to do, but the Black Guy responded, "you're not my boss", and if he wanted something done go through his boss.

Last Friday, we had a retirement party for one of our ET Seniors. This man worked for 38 years at KDOT. I've never really got to talk to him, but he seemed nice. He's one of the few people here that I haven't heard anything bad about. He is the third ET to leave this office since I've been here, though we've gained two engineers counting myself. With this Senior retiring, there will be an opening for his position. Which means there will be more ass-kissing and showing off from now on. Sadly people aren't promoted based on merit, just who they know and how well they brown-nose. This explains why the most competent person in this office is still just a regular ET.

Tonight will be a slow night. There will be no concrete, so I'll be out on the road the whole time. It's going to be extraordinarily boring. The contractor says they'll be done with patching this week. I don't believe it, I think they still have 5-6 more working days.

I did managed to learn something useful at the orientation. KDOT buys new laptops every three years and they sell off their old ones within the organization. They didn't have any further details beyond that, but hopefully in the next couple years, I can finally get that laptop that I never needed, but thought it would be fun to have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could use a new laptop... you should pick on up for me.