Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Superpave

I had a fairly good time in Manhattan. I got to go to 4 yosakoi practices and even got to perform. Pity messed up on the first dance. On Tuesday there was the engineering career held in the same building as my class. I saw several friends representing their companies and as applicants. We had a nice long break in the class that I was able to wander around for an hour talking to people.

The Superpave class itself wasn't too bad. It was half lab work, half lecture. We never stayed the whole time, usually left 2-3 hours early, and they even gave us lunch 2 of the days. Being half lab work really helped tie-in all the stuff we covered in lecture. That's part of the reason I was able to get through my civil engineering classes in college, because so many had labs. Another bonus from the lab, was that we got a black apron, which I'll probably never use for work. Actually most of the stuff I learned in class I won't use, but I need to be certified to enter asphalt information into our database. Pity this class's certification is once every 5 years. I don't get many opportunities to come up on the state's dime. There's this and the annual KSU transportation conference, which should be in a couple of months. I should look into that and make sure I'm registered to attend. I missed last year's because I had a class in Salina.

No comments: