Wednesday, February 06, 2008

New Hair

Today feels like Monday to me. I took yesterday off, and went on a field trip on Monday. I decided to get dreadlocks, which was a 3 hour ordeal, so I decided to take the whole day off. I also went and got fitted for contacts. So came in today looking fairly different, and one of my coworkers felt the need to reintroduce himself to me. He did this to me once before after I came back from rotation and had shaved my head and goatee.

Several employees took a trip to Tulsa, Ok to tour the lab facilities of a major asphalt producer, Sem Materials. They provided two charter buses for a Wichita and Topeka group. I slept for about 2 hours each way. It was a nice tour, it would have been a little more interesting if I worked with asphalt testing, but it was basically a day off. They had a beautiful facility, it's almost tempting to start looking for a job in the private sector. After the tours, they gave us lunch, then some VPs came, gave a presentation basically kissing our collective asses. I guess that's business though. We're one of their biggest customers, and we're usually the first to try out their new and unproven designs.

Last week, he had our annual District Construction and Materials meeting. It wasn't too bad, and our office surprisingly won the District Safety Award. They got their picture in the monthly newsletter, but I missed out since I left quickly. At that meeting, our Metro Engineer asked if I was interested taking over the Hutchinson construction office, since the engineer that they were grooming for the position just quit at the end of last year. It'd be a promotion and a nice pay raise, but I'd have a lot more responsibility that I don't think I'm ready for. Plus I don't want to move or commute to Hutch. I told him no thanks, and he easily gave up.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Wow... gotta love changing one thing about you and being an entirely different person!

Hyde said...

I actually changed 3 things; hair, glasses, and shaved my goatee.