Monday, May 21, 2007

Days

I spent the past week watching pile driving. I wasn't too bad. The senior on the project was surprisingly helpful, and gave me good advice for my upcoming project. This is the same senior that was in charge of my first project last summer, that never talked to me. I got some reading done, bridge work is very slow and only requires supervision only for certain parts.

While on the bridge, my helper came out because they thought they would need extra workers for the concrete pour. We set a schedule for the project. I'll unfortunately be working from 5:45am to 6:15pm. Since I'm the coordinator it would be best if I was around during the day so I could consult my superiors. Plus any concrete and asphalt would be done during the day. I could just be my way of thinking, but as the project coordinator, I feel I should have the most responsibility and work on this job. My helper plans on coming in at 5pm, even though he doesn't need to be out on the road until 6pm. I personally think 5:30pm is early enough for him to come in, but I guess I'll be nice and not take his 5 hours of OT away, since I almost make double his pay.

I'm slowly getting all the paperwork ready for this job. I need to get certification for every little thing, including the nuts and bolts used. My helper and I went out and looked at the bridge. He asked a lot of questions, that I really didn't care about. Probably because I assume the contractor knows a lot more than me, and can take care of it. Though thanks to him we did notice something extra that might need replacing. I'll go out tomorrow to take pictures, which will be reviewed Topeka.

No comments: