Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Back pay

Back after a week in Salina. Had 5 different classes with a painfully simple 10 question quiz after each of them. All but one of the tests took me less than 5 minutes to complete. Except for the 1st day, the classes started at 1pm and ended at noon the next day. The tests were scheduled for 11:30am, but luckily most started them early, so I was able to take off to lunch early, and take a much needed nap. I had a hard time staying awake in the morning classes. They made all the people taking the class for the first time sit in the first two rows, so I was front row center, since I arrived right on time.

Today had a class on traffic control. It mostly went over specs, which is a good thing, since I probably wouldn't have read the specs on my own. Then we watched a cheesy KDOT made video on how to flag traffic. Then we all received cards that certify us as flaggers. Luckily I will never have to flag traffic.

My boss told me that I have some back pay owed to me. Apparently I was in fact promoted back in November, like I was supposed to, so I'm getting that money. It's a nice chunk of changed that I can use on my upcoming trip to Japan this summer, if work doesn't interfere. I will actually be the project coordinator for two projects this summer. One is a 10-day emergency bridge repair in May. As long as it starts on time, I'll be able to go to Japan. The 2nd one will be let in May, so it'll probably start in July. It's actually two separate projects tied together, because they're right by each other and the same contractor is doing the work. It'll be a bridge overlay. Surprisingly there's 3 nights jobs, and I'm not none of them. I think I'm the only person in the office that likes night jobs.

I won't have any class in March, so it'll give me time to read the contractor for this bridge project that I'll be helping out on until my starts. I need to quickly finish/catch up on my tv shows, because I won't have lunch breaks in the office soon.

No comments: